How to work in Australia: the main information before you make your decision!

Posted by France Arnaud on 1 September 2015 | Comments

You are thinking about Australia but everything is still a bit blurry in your head?

First things first, you need to ask yourself before you leave: in which context do I want to come to Australia: To gain experience and to find a casual job? To settle in Australia and to start your career? To improve your English level to make your Resume more relevant?

The conditions and preparations will be different depending on your objectives and will determine your success in your project.

Focus on the different Australian Visas with work permits:

The first obstacle to consider will be the work permit you can obtain in Australia. As you might know, the work rights are different for immigrants. You need to familiarize yourself with the different work Visas and understand their conditions.

There are quite a lot of working Visas, all of them are fee-paying and are delivered by the DIBP (Department of immigration and Border Protection).

  • Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417): if you are British, Italian, Scandinavian or from any eligible country (click here for the list of eligible countries: you can apply for this Visa online. It allows you to work for 1 year from your first day in Australia. If your country doesn’t appear in this list, be aware there is another similar work visa: the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) which has different conditions for different countries.

WARNING: you can't work for more than 6 months for the same employer, therefore, it will reduce your long term job perspectives. However, you can renew this Visa for another year if you meet all the conditions (proofs of employment for 3 months or more in a registered farm). This Visa costs $440.

  • Student Visa: you need to enrol for a full time, on campus and fee-paying course with a CRICOS registration number.  This Visa is valid for the whole length of your studies. You will be able to work part time during your studies (40h/fortnight) and without any limitations during your holidays. This Visa costs $550.
  • Temporary Work Visa (subclass 400, 401): Valid for 1 year but won't allow you to stay for more than 3 months in Australia and to obtain a fix salary. This Visa costs between $165 and $360.
  • Business Sponsorship Visa (Subclass 457) and ENS (Employer Nomination Scheme – Subclass 186): Valid from 1 to 4 years. You will need to find a company which is willing to sponsor you, which is respecting the work conditions and which is eligible by the DIBP. You will have to prove your value to convince your employer, it might take some time.

Important information to read here . It is advised to consult an immigration agent beforehand, we can put you in contact with a migration lawyer for a consultation.  Contact us now if you are interested

  • The Training and Research Visa (Subclass 402): this Visa allows you to do a paid or unpaid internship for a maximum length of 1 year. You will have to find an Australian company which already has the license for this Visa and which can provide you with a mission.
  • The Post Study Work Visa (Subclass 186) (from 2 to 4 years): you are only eligible for this Visa if you have studied for at least 2 years in an Australian university and if you graduated  from it (the grant date of your student Visa will be a main condition to know if you are eligible or not). It is advised to consult a migration agent beforehand, we can put you in contact with a migration lawyer. Contact us now if you need a consultation. (link to contact form)
  • Skilled Migration Visa (subclass 175 – 189 – 190) or permanent Residency Visa: the conditions for these visas are so complex and versatile that it is strongly recommended to consult a registered immigration agent. We can put you in contact with an immigration lawyer if needed. Link to our contact form

 For more details about Working Visas in Australia, click here


Some tips to increase your chance of finding a job!

  • Your English level will be the most important point. No English, No job! Or you will find an unqualified and low-paid job. The higher your English level is, the more chances you will have to find your dream job. Firstly test your English here for free to assess  your level!
  • Don't underestimate the importance of networking and a “local experience in Australia; if you don't have any Australian contacts or local experience, it will be difficult for you to find an interesting job  :-( So don't hesitate to accept trials and to prove your value to the company; volunteering or internships could also be a good solution. Make yourself irreplaceable within the company so they will do everything they can to keep you. It will be the occasion for you to differentiate yourself or to be referred to another company :-)
  • You need to check in advance your Diplomas recognition: for everything related to the services field, it is quite easy, however, for the health industry, the education and law, it is much more complicated to practice in these industries if you don't respect the Australian prerequisites. We can help you for this matter.

As you can see, it is not easy! It is vital to be prepared and to decide which approach you want to apply before you leave for Australia.

To help you in your preparations, here are some suggestions:

  • You are thinking of coming alone to Australia and your English level is poor? Why not considering a student Visa? We can help you to find a school which fits your expectations
  • Your English level is intermediate and you have a limited budget? Why not applying for a Working Holiday Visa and choosing one of our packs to insure a safe and relax arrival in Australia? Link to packs.
  • Forget about applying for the sponsor Visa (457) from your country, because you need to be onshore to have the best chances of success. So then take your chance on a Working Holiday visa ou student visa
  • You don't know what to choose between all these solutions, or nothing really relates to your profile? Contact us, we are here to help. (link to contact form)

To know more about work in Australia, please click here